celinenyx

Nyx Book Reviews

I love to read and to review. My favourite genres are fantasy, horror, YA, historical, and everything paranormal.

Professor Gargoyle: Tales from Lovecraft Middle School #1

Tales from Lovecraft Middle School #1: Professor Gargoyle - Charles Gilman Quirk publishes extremely aesthetically pleasing books, and PG is no exception. It looks and it feels amazing – such high quality for a MG book.Professor Gargoyle is the story of Robert Arthur, who starts at a new school that just recently has been built. At first it seems just like any school, but within the first day strange things start happening; rats appear in lockers, thingy gets lost in the high-tech library and winds up in an ancient attic. And on op of that all there is something wrong with the chemistry teacher…I loved that Professor Gargoyle combines both a feel of gothic horror and contemporary technologies. The school is all new and shiny, yet it still feels spooky. It was nice to see a horror kind of story play out at something else than an old mansion.The story of Professor Gargoyle was very enjoyable, but at times the writing felt slightly stilted or overly formal. It didn’t,t flow effortlessly just yet. It might just be a first book in the series kind of thing, and I hope Gilman’s writing improves in the second book of the series, The Slither Sisters.It takes a little while to get things going and to introduce all of characters. Once the adventure really takes off, Professor Gargoyle is suspenseful and imaginative just as it should be. It suffers a from being the first book in the series, but I have high hopes for the sequel. Recommended for lovers of horror/adventure MG books.