celinenyx

Nyx Book Reviews

I love to read and to review. My favourite genres are fantasy, horror, YA, historical, and everything paranormal.

Sisters of Glass

Sisters of Glass - Stephanie Hemphill I will preface this review by saying that I know absolutely nothing about poetry. When I hear about famous poets I say "I must read those some time!" but as you all know, I never do. I know they're those strange people that don't fill the page like normal writers do, and sometimes just put maybe two or three words on a single page. They can ramble on about an old shoe and their work will be called a masterpiece. I don't get poetry at all. That being said, I enjoyed reading Sisters of Glass. The book is a young-adult historical romance set in Venice, and all written in free verse. For those of you that don't know what free verse is, here's a quote from Wikipedia: "Free verse is a form of poetry that refrains from consistent meter patterns, rhyme, or any other musical pattern". It was an interesting book and I enjoyed reading about Maria, the youngest daughter of a Venetian glass-maker. Her father's last dying wish is that she should marry a nobleman. Her beautiful older sister, who is way more suitable to navigate the world of nobility, is condemned to work in the furnace. With the arrival of Luca, a skilled glass artist, Maria is getting even more confused whether or not she should obey to her father's wish.I'm a sucker for everything historical, and I loved the Venetian setting. It has a certain charm with the gondolas and the piazzas and even the floodings, although maybe not that much fun, add to the credibility of the story. I very much enjoyed the descriptions Ms Hemphill has weaved carefully. There is a lot of attention to detail in this story which was great to read.Although I liked how the romance progressed between the different characters, I still felt like this story could have been a little longer. Maybe it's just because I'm not used to this format, but at times I wanted more. I wanted more emotions, more of the interactions, more of everything. Overall Sisters of Glass was an interesting little book and I would recommend it for people that are in love with Venice or historical settings, and that like a flush of romance in their reads.